Tuesday, February 10, 2009

New York Comic Con Galore!

This past weekend was the New York Comic Con and I had a blast as I always do. I've only been going to comic conventions for the past few years, but they are one of my favorite things ever. It's completely and utterly fascinating to watch the going-ons and passer-bys at these things (my fascination with cons is probably a whole other post waiting to happen). But for now, I just wanted to share my highlights of the weekend.

I really have no interest in the actual comic book aspect of cons for the most part; my main goals are to buy cute things, get sketches, and people watch like a fox. I did pretty well with all of that this year.

As for toys (pictured above), I got an awesome Ugly Doll Ice Bat action figure (which is great, cause I love the plush dolls, but they are weird shaped and take up a lot of room); I got a Munny zipper pull (cause I had just lost my other one); A Zombie Ninja button from Ninjatown (in addition to a Ninjatown demon sketch and sticker from the creator); a super awesome Igor figure from the Nightmare Before Christmas that was originally $10, but the guy gave it to me for $5 (hooray!); a mini cactus pup and a regular one from Tokidoki (I'm just buying the tiny affordable cute Tokidoki things until I can afford one of those damn bags everyone else seems to have...hurm...); and not pictured I got some really cute hairclips with skulls and an awesome vintage looking Halloween pin (like a fancy pin, not a button).

I started my very first sketchbook last year at comic con (my theme is Monsters and Creatures) and I've gotten some pretty awesome stuff so far (check the whole thing on flickr). This year some of my trophies are a really cool Jamal Igle sketch, an Eduardo Risso sketch and a Dean Yeagle sketch that I had to buy a Mandy print in order to get (the pic at the very top), but I was totally fine with that. The above image is my favorite from this con. It was the first one I got, and I had really been wanting some sort of Cthulhu and I finally got one and he's super cute! Here's a picture of me standng in line waiting to get it:
I'm the ridiculously pale looking blonde girl, if you didn't know.

Anywho, some of the other highlights for me were catching the Wizard and Toyfare panels, both of which were incredibly entertaining, as well as the Hip Hop and Comics panel hosted by my friend Matt Powell. It was really weird to hear old-school rappers talk about being geeks and reading comics as kids and being so influenced by them, but also really awesome at the same time. And of course there's just seeing the randomness that is the attendees of conventions. I'm not gonna even try to go into it. If you've ever been, you know what I'm talking about, and if you haven't please go and see for yourself. But as you can see below, even fairly normal looking folks seem a little off at comic con.

By the end of both days I was completely exhausted and my feet felt like they would fall off. But I had a rocktacular time and got to hand out with great people, and I can't wait to do it again.

1 comment: